Sunday, February 28, 2010

Woodland Nymph

Here's a new bust that's finally made it to the bench. It's a wonderful sculpt from Y&S Castings. I bought it some time ago and thought it'd be fun to do something with limitless possibility for colors. The flesh is a violet mix made from Ivory, Violet Red and Deep Green. Again in acrylics so the smooth transitions on the skin are challenging. I plan to add a whole back tattoo and have and interesting burled base to use for her upon which I plan to add some branches and perhaps some vegitation. Excited about this one too. Stay tuned for more updates....

Minstrel Life

Hello! I thought I'd post a pic of a new piece I'm working on in anticipation of hopefully attending the MFCA show in May. It's a 54mm figure from Nocturna. I've decided to set him in a little Renaissance/fantasy environment that I hope will suit the mood of the figure. I plan to add a curtain to the backdrop and to paint in a renaissance inspired woodland piece visible through the curtain. It will be a bit of a departure from my usual, which is why I'm so excited about it. I think I'll sculpt some birds and other details in there as well. Check back for some more updates as he develops. The back drop is being made from sheet plastic. The kit comes with the small stone wall section he's leaning on, but I don't know if that will make it into the final version. I removed his lute from his left hand and will rebuild the neck. I have plans for what will be in his left hand. Something I hope will bring a smile to the viewer. I'm thinking the lute will make a nice addition to the backdrop along with some flowers and other details. Thanks for stopping in. Good to be doing something more creative again.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Czar Nicholas Bust..Finished Sandbagging....

Well, I finally got this one done just in time for the Atlanta Show this past weekend. I'm pleased with how it came out. I like how the eagle on the helmet came out. This was painted with a tip picked up from Phil Kessling some years back. To depict slightly tarnished steel, I added a bit of sap green oil paint to my silver ink as well as a touch of ivory black. I think it gives it some extra oomf!