Tuesday, April 13, 2010

New Portrait Piece. Roughing In the Volumes


Hello! I thought I'd post a few very early pics of a new portrait sculpt still early in the process. This is a very loose period in the process where I'm getting all the volumes and proportions how I like them. I've moved over to using Super Sculpey on this one rather than my usual magic sculpt. The benefit here is that the clay stays workable until I bake the piece. This allows me endless tweaking and adding/subtracting until I'm happy. I really am preferring this method rather than the add-bake-carve method I used with the air drying magic sculpt that has about an hour of working time. The only downside I can see to the sculpey is fine detail work. I have to figure that one out when I get there. This is a subject near to my interest. It will be William Munny (Clint Eastwood) from the classic western "Unforgiven". The pics have "squashed the head a bit, but they're pretty close to the actual head. More to come on this one later as he develops. Thanks for looking!

No comments: